How Chiropractic Care Can Help Sleeping Problems
I am often presented with patients that are suffering from sleep disorders. I know with the right regimen of chiropractic care I can help correct the problem. I wanted to share with you the benefits of chiropractic care associated with sleep disorders and came across this great article written by Dr. Behfar Sanjari of Chiro-Med Rehab Centre. It was just too good to keep to myself so here I present the very article I read on chiro-med.ca.
Sleep, we all need it; without proper sleep health ailments start to make their way into our life and they can cause havoc.
There have been a myriad of studies done over recent years and they all seem to echo the same results. Many people sleep less than six hours at night and about three quarters of us experience some difficulties getting a good night’s sleep more than twice a week. A short bout of insomnia may not be much to worry about but it can lead to chronic sleep loss which not only can weaken the immune system but it can cause very serious issues.
LET’S LOOK AT SOME OF THE RISKS TO OUR HEALTH IF WE DON’T SLEEP WELL:
- Safety reasons: If you do not get sufficient sleep then you place yourself at risk for work-related injuries and road accidents.
- Mood: Without a good night’s sleep a person can feel very irritable or impatient the next day. Being able to concentrate on tasks becomes a challenge deepening the negative emotional state.
- Learning and memory: Students and those in careers in which learning is part of the day then the more tired you are due to the lack of sleep the more you’ll struggle.
- Cardiovascular heath: Those with serious sleep disorders are at very high risk of hypertension, irregular heartbeat and increased stress hormones.
- Disease: The more sleep we lose the weaker the immune system therefore making us more vulnerable to developing diseases.
- Weight gain: Those with chronic sleep deprivation can gain weight because the body’s ability to process and store carbohydrates alter.
NOW LET’S EXAMINE SOME OF THE BENEFITS TO HAVING REGULAR SLEEP:
- Our body replenishes: Sleep is when our body goes into repair mode. Cells produce more protein which is used in repairing damage when we sleep. Muscle injuries and other trauma heals faster while we are asleep.
- Decreases depression: Without adequate sleep our body is not able to properly regulate serotonin levels. When our serotonin levels are where they should be we feel happy and we’re more productive.
- Reduces chronic inflammation: Some studies suggest that there is an association with chronic inflammation disorders and the increase of stress hormones caused by the lack of sleep. Some of these chronic inflammation disorders include atherosclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, heart conditions and cancer.
- Reduces stress: When we lack sleep our body enters a state of stress. Blood pressure increases which increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes. Proper sleeping can break the cycle of stress and counteract the effects of stress.
- Keeps our heart healthy: If we get 7-9 hours of sleep a night this significantly reduces the risk for heart disease and strokes.
CAUSES OF SLEEPING POORLY; THERE TRULY ARE SO MANY CAUSES OF POOR SLEEP THAT THEY ALL CAN’T BE LISTED HERE. LET’S LOOK AT SOME OF THE MORE COMMON CULPRITS. THEY INCLUDE:
- Poor mattress and/or pillow
- Too much caffeine intake
- Snacking before bed
- Too much alcohol
- Too much stimulation (i.e. the television or computer)
- Smoking cigarettes (especially within 30 minutes of going to bed)
- Stress (relationships with loved ones, work problems, financial problems)
- An injury or health ailment
There may be other factors at play in which chiropractic care can help. Some studies indicate that there is an increase in levels of cortisol (stress hormone) when the body’s circadian rhythms are disturbed. When these levels remain high for a prolonged period of time, bone density reduces as well as the muscle mass. The immune system weakens, fat accumulates in the abdomen area and it impacts the functioning of the thyroid gland.
Yes, there are a variety of over-the-counter medications that make claims about helping you get a good sleep but in all honesty even if you find one that actually works, this is not the solution. Pills can cause side effects not to mention they do not treat the underlying problem. To have a proper sleep you need to treat the actual cause and this is where a chiropractor can help.
Chiropractic care and wellness adjustments will help you get the sleep you need. This type of treatment improves the blood flow in the nervous system and it corrects any misalignments or subluxations in the spine.
Subluxations compress the nerves causing the lack of communication between the spine and the brain. This can lead to stress response which puts the body out of balance and sleeping well becomes challenging. This can be easily treated with chiropractic care.
Regular chiropractic care can solve several problems that may be the cause of sleepless nights such as back pain, breathing problems, and restless leg syndrome. Many people are thrilled with how well their sleep has improved after getting regular wellness adjustments. Regular chiropractic care can improve the symptoms and conditions of insomnia patients and helps them sleep better thus improving the quality of their day to day life.
Chiropractic care isn’t just for adults suffering with sleep disorders; children can also greatly benefit from chiropractic treatment.